Friday, November 18, 2011

You lucious licuado, you!: Evolution of a banana smoothie

I lived in Mexico for a few years,  and my during first six months there I lived with a host family.

For the most part, our eating habits were mutually accepted and liked. I found it odd, though, that I was given a ham sandwich for breakfast each morning, and what concerned my host parents was that the bright orange Kraft Mac N Cheese I liked to make seemed "radioactivo".  They wouldn't even try it. Their facial expressions when looking into the pot turned from a jovial, inquistive "what's that?" into an emphatic, "Hell, no!"

 I don't blame them. Mac and cheese, of that particular brand, especially, does kinda suck, and I think people come to this realization somewhere around the age of 23.

One thing I loved that my host family regularly made for me (to go along with my ham sandwich) was a licuado, or smoothie.

The basic directions are as follows:  Put a banana, a glass of milk, a teeny, tiny bit of vanilla into a blender. Mix. Enjoy. If it's not sweet enough, add a bit of sugar and mix again.

Over the years, I have altered the recipe bit by bit (though the original is good, too).

My directions: Put a glass of Vanilla Silk Soy milk, a banana, a scoop of almond butter (or peanut butter), and a tablespoon of ground flax into a blender. Mix. Enjoy!

It's a great breakfast or snack! !!DisfrĂștalo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment